Barefoot Beach is another wonderful place we can go here in Naples to enjoy nature, the beach and the Gulf of Mexico. However, when you arrive you may be greeted with traffic slowed a bit while a loggerhead turtle makes his way across the highway. The turtles seem to love the area to make their nests which are protected and watched over by local volunteers. The survival rate is only 1 in a 1000 for the young hatchlings to reach adulthood so please be careful.
Photos ©Rick Bethem
Barefoot Beach Preserve is a 342 acre barrier island in North Naples. It is one of Southwest Florida’s most beautiful and fragile natural areas. Besides the beach, you can take a canoe trail that circles approximately 1.5 miles through an estuarine mangrove forest. The mangroves offer ideal nesting sites for birds. You might see yellow crowned night herons, roseate spoonbils, and white ibis. Keep your eyes open for bald eagles, and of course…the local turtles.
To schedule a Park Ranger guided canoe trip, you can contact the North Collier Regional Park at 239-254-4060.
Memorial Day 2008 in Naples, Florida started with ceremonies at the Naples Memorial Funeral Home & Cemetery in North Naples. The service was unique in that we honored a local hero that we lost on January 19th in Al Jabour, Iraq. A special presentation was made of a wreath and memorial flag in honor of Specialist Richard B. Burress, U.S. Army. Burress was a member of the 1st Battalion, 30th Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 3rd ID. The service was both wonderful and sad. Many, many memories were held in the thoughts of the veterans who were able to attend and share the day in honoring their fallen comrades. You can read more about Memorial Day at this link. Here are a few photos from this morning. All Photos: Copyright 2008 Rick Bethem.
Many veterans paid tribute.
Grave of a Air Force Staff Sargent who
served in three wars.
A rifle salute to the fallen.
Robert McDonald, Sergeant, U.S. Army Air Corps (Retired)
A veteran slowly makes his way home from the
Memorial Day service.
We later went down to the Naples Pier where rows of crosses stood tall on the beach to represent those who have lost their lives in Iraq. The names of all 4,079 heroes were read aloud. The photo below shows a mourner who tried to fine solace amongst the crosses.
Photos: Copyright 2008 Rick Bethem
Beautiful estate home for sale in Olde Naples. Three bedroom plus Den, 4.5 Baths, 3 car garage, pool. Over 3000 sq ft. Offered at $2,900,000.
Olde Naples is one of the most prestigious addresses that Naples has to offer. This brand new home is nestled within exotic landscaping for all your comfort and privacy. Relax in your sanctuary for morning coffee, and take a afternoon stroll on the beach, while watching the waves of the Gulf of Mexico crash at your feet. Entertain guest with a magnificient kitchen that is fit for any chef. Relax for an after dinner drink on your private balcony overlooking the treeline street and the aroma of the gulf of Mexico. Take a midnight dip in your own private cabana spa, you wiill think you are at the Ritz. This will be a home that you will be proud to entertain friends and family, after all that’s what you deserve.
Here is the latest edition of Naples Tidbits to keep you updated on what’s happening in Naples, Florida when you want to get out on the town or if you’re visiting the area.
- We try to make life a little easier here in Naples. Got a traffic ticket? Don’t waste your time in court, just step right up to the kiosks in the cashiers area of the county courthouse. The koisks accept online payments using a debit or credit card for any Collier County traffic citation.
Oratory at Ave Maria. ©Rick Bethem
- Ave Maria’s Oratory finally received its Rite of Dedication on April 1st. The ritual dedicated the oratory as a holy building for public worship in the Roman Catholic tradition so all sacred celebrations can now be performed.
- Hodges University is creating bachelor’s degree in American studies. This is the first cultural studies program to be offered in Southwest Florida.
- AAA Auto Club has opened a satellite travel agency at the Downtown Informatiion Center located in Suite 103 at 800 Fifth Avenue South.
- TPC Treviso Bay recently opened its front nine holes and practice facility, becoming the 28th TPC worldwide. The 58,000 sq ft clubhouse is expected to take two years to complete after which the course may be mature enough to host a major tournament.
Just another in our seemingly on going series of great curb appeal photos. If you ever wanted a very tall palm tree of your very own, then this is the property for you.
Your submissions are welcomed. If you’ve seen a candidate for a Bad Real Estate Photo of the Day entry, mail the photo or a link to Rick@RuthBethem.com.